Last night Rob and I went to Chicago to see the comic/TV star Joel McHale! If you don't already know who Joel is, well then you don't watch "The Soup" or "Community" because he stars on both shows.
*Side story*It was the only the 2nd live show we've ever paid to see and the first (Jim Gaffigan) was rather disapointing since he was only on stage for like 50 mins when our train ride (one way) was an hour itself. Rob and I decided to drive down to the city- which is extremely scary for us- to cut down on train/wait time.*
We didn't know who was going to open for him, so it was a BIG surprise for us when Joel announced it was Donald Glover- he plays Troy on "Community." Donald was pretty nervous, but he was overall pretty funny, and even when his jokes weren't hilarious- I was too star struck to care.
Joel was announced after Donald's 20 minute opening routine was complete, and he stayed on stage for just under 90 mins! It made the stressful drive totally worth it! He was extremely funny, and the majority of his material was new (unlike Gaffigan) with some little bits from "The Soup" added in. I was also surprised because he did a lot of improv- especially when it came to the super fake-tanned lady in the front row. She got ragged on pretty good at times- and he kept making jokes about her throughout the show (like she was from Jersey.. or that she was Snooki's grandma). I don't laugh out loud at many things, even when they are pretty funny, but he had me cracking up almost the entire length of the show.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that about half way through the show he said there was a celebrity in the audience.. and that the actor was also from "Community." It was Danny Pudi.. aka Abed!! He was in the 20th row (which Joel mocked him for) and Joel had him come on stage with Donald to perform Troy & Abed's funny Spanish rap from "Community." Then the 3 of them danced crunk danced to a John Mayer slow song as a tribute to Mother's Day. It was great! If and when Joel comes back to Chicago I will not miss him!
Here is the video of them (not mine) from youtube from my show:
Awesome! Glad you guys had a great time and got there and back safely. I've driven downtown once now (at night) and it was pretty stressful for me too. I would hate to have been the fake tanned woman. Hope she had a good sense of humor.
ReplyDelete